ELIXIR-EXCELERATE Train the Trainer
##University of Salerno, Fisciano (SA), Italy
27th-29th September, 2017
Allegra Via, ELIXIR-IT, National Research Council (CNR), Italy
Pedro Fernandes, ELIXIR-PT, GTPB, Instituto Gulbenkian de Ciência, Oeiras, PT
Anna Marabotti, University of Salerno, Fisciano, IT
Roberto Tagliaferri, University of Salerno, Fisciano, IT
ELIXIR-IIB, in cooperation with the ELIXIR-EXCELERATE Train-The-Trainer programme, will hold a Train the Trainer (TtT) event in connection with a course on “Best Practices for RNA-Seq analysis”.
The course is made up of four sessions, covering:
- Learning principles and how they apply to training and teaching
- Teaching techniques that can be used to enhance learner engagement and participation
- Assessment and feedback in training and teaching
- Lesson, course, and materials design
Fee: There is no course attendance fee. The participants will need to bear their travel and hotel costs (if any). ELIXIR-EXCELERATE will cover coffee breaks and lunches.
We will accept a maximum of 15 participants. Priority will be given to candidates from ELIXIR nodes. Notifications of acceptance will be sent shortly after the application, which will remain open until we reach 15 participants.
Whoever is interested in becoming a teacher or a better one. If you have questions like the following ones, this course may be very helpful to you.
- How learning works?
- How can I use learning principles and theories to improve my teaching?
- How can I make my teaching more engaging and effective?
- How should I adjust my teaching to different types of learners?
- How can I help slow learners?
- How can I assess whether my students are actually understanding my lessons? Are they actually learning?
- What is the best balance between theory and practice?
- How can I best assess whether learning is occurring and/or has occurred?
- What works in a classroom and what doesn’t?
- How can I become a better teacher?
- To get acquainted with Learning principles and how they apply to training
- To be able to select and utilise training techniques that can be used to enhance learner engagement and participation
- To learn how to use assessment and feedback in training
- To learn about session, course, and materials design
- Learners can name learning principles that a good teacher/instructor should have in mind
- Learners can describe at least three training techniques, drawing on learning principles
- Learners can design a training session and a course
- Learners can develop assessment questionnaires
- Learners can enumerate types of materials needed for each part of a training session or course
|11.00 - 11.30||Introductions, who is who and what we need to achieve|
|11.00 - 13.00||Observing teachers at work: a lesson on the Linux shell|
|14.00 - 18.30||Session 1: Review of learning principles and how they apply to training and teaching|
|09.15 - 13.00||Session 2: Training techniques that can be used to enhance learner engagement and participation|
|14.00 - 15.00||Observing teachers at work: practicing RNA-Seq pipelines|
|15.00 - 18.30||Session 3: Session, course, and materials design|
|09.15 - 10.30||Session 3: Session, course, and materials design|
|11:00 - 13:00||Session 4: Assessment and feedback in training|
|14:00 - 15:00||Session 4: Assessment and feedback in training|
|15.00 - 16.00||Course feedback and wrap-up|