ELIXIR-CH in collaboration with ELIXIR-EXCELERATE and ELIXIR Italy are pleased to announce a Train the Trainer (TtT) event.
Course date: 30-31 January, 2018
We will accept a maximum of 15 participants. Priority will be given to candidates from ELIXIR nodes. Notifications of acceptance will be sent shortly after the application, which will remain open until we reach 15 participants.
Genopode building, room 2020, University of Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland
There is no course attendance fee. The participants will need to bear their travel and hotel costs (if any). ELIXIR-EXCELERATE will cover coffee breaks and lunches.
Patricia Palagi, SIB Swiss Institute of bioinformatics, Switzerland
The course is made up of four sessions, covering:
- Learning principles and how they apply to training and teaching
- Teaching techniques that can be used to enhance learner engagement and participation
- Assessment and feedback in training and teaching
- Lesson, course, and materials design
Whoever is interested in becoming a teacher or a better one. If you have questions like the following ones, this course may be very helpful to you.
- How learning works?
- How can I use learning principles and theories to improve my teaching?
- How can I make my teaching more engaging and effective?
- How should I adjust my teaching to different types of learners?
- How can I help slow learners?
- How can I assess whether my students are actually understanding my lessons? Are they actually learning?
- What is the best balance between theory and practice?
- How can I best assess whether learning is occurring and/or has occurred?
- What works in a classroom and what doesn’t?
- How can I become a better teacher?
- To get acquainted with Learning principles and how they apply to training
- To be able to select and utilise training techniques that can be used to enhance learner engagement and participation
- To learn how to use assessment and feedback in training
- To learn about session, course, and materials design
- Learners can name learning principles that a good teacher/instructor should have in mind
- Learners can describe at least three training techniques, drawing on learning principles
- Learners can design a training session and a course
- Learners can develop assessment questionnaires
- Learners can enumerate types of materials needed for each part of a training session or course
|09.00 - 09.30||Introductions, who is who and what we need to achieve|
|09.30 - 12.30||Session 1: Review of learning principles and how they apply to training and teaching|
|14.00 - 18.00||Session 2: Training techniques that can be used to enhance learner engagement and participation|
|09.00 - 12.30||Session 3: Session, course, and materials design|
|14.00 - 18.00||Session 4: Assessment and feedback in training|