ELIXIR-FR in collaboration with ELIXIR-IT and Swiss Institute of Bionformatics (SIB) are pleased to announce a Train the Trainer (TtT) event.
Course date: 26-27 March, 2018
We will accept a maximum of 25 participants. Priority will be given to candidates from Elixir- France and ELIXIR nodes. Notifications of acceptance will be sent shortly after the application, which will remain open until we reach 25 participants.
Institut Pasteur, 25-28 Rue du Dr Roux, 75015 Paris
There is no course attendance fee. The participants will need to bear their travel, hotel (if any) and lunches costs. ELIXIR-FR will cover coffee breaks.
Victoria Dominguez Del Angel, TrC Elixir-France, French Insitute of Bioinformatics UMS3601-CNRS, Campus Universitaire d’Orsay, France
Hervé Ménager, Pasteur Institute, Bioinformatics and Biostatistics Hub – C3BI, USR 3756 IP CNRS – Paris, France
The course is made up of four sessions, covering:
- Learning principles and how they apply to training and teaching
- Teaching techniques that can be used to enhance learner engagement and participation
- Assessment and feedback in training and teaching
- Lesson, course, and materials design
Whoever is interested in becoming a teacher or a better one. If you have questions like the following ones, this course may be very helpful to you.
- How learning works?
- How can I use learning principles and theories to improve my teaching?
- How can I make my teaching more engaging and effective?
- How should I adjust my teaching to different types of learners?
- How can I help slow learners?
- How can I assess whether my students are actually understanding my lessons? Are they actually learning?
- What is the best balance between theory and practice?
- How can I best assess whether learning is occurring and/or has occurred?
- What works in a classroom and what doesn’t?
- How can I become a better teacher?
- To get acquainted with Learning principles and how they apply to training
- To be able to select and utilise training techniques that can be used to enhance learner engagement and participation
- To learn how to use assessment and feedback in training
- To learn about session, course, and materials design
- Learners can name learning principles that a good teacher/instructor should have in mind
- Learners can describe at least three training techniques, drawing on learning principles
- Learners can design a training session and a course
- Learners can develop assessment questionnaires
- Learners can enumerate types of materials needed for each part of a training session or course
|09.00 - 09.30||Introductions, who is who and what we need to achieve|
|09.30 - 12.30||Session 1: Review of learning principles and how they apply to training and teaching|
|14.00 - 18.00||Session 2: Training techniques that can be used to enhance learner engagement and participation|
|09.00 - 12.30||Session 3: Session, course, and materials design|
|14.00 - 18.00||Session 4: Assessment and feedback in training|