ELIXIR-EXCELERATE, in collaboration with ELIXIR Sweden and ELIXIR-IIB, is pleased to announce a Train the Trainer (TtT) event.
Course date: 9-11 October, 2018
We will accept a maximum of 20 participants. Priority will be given to candidates from ELIXIR Sweden and other ELIXIR nodes. Notifications of acceptance will be sent shortly after the application, which will remain open until we reach 20 participants.
Science for Life Laboratory, Tomtebodavägen 23A, 17165 Solna, Sweden
There is no course attendance fee. The participants will need to bear their travel, hotel (if any) and meal costs. Candidates from ELIXIR nodes might apply for an ELIXIR Staff Exchange Programme Travel Grant when they fill their application form.
Allegra Via (Training Coordinator ELIXIR-IIB, IBPM-CNR)
Jessica Lindvall (Training Coordinator ELIXIR-SE, NBIS)
Jessica Lindvall, NBIS (National Bioinformatics Infrastructure Sweden), Elixir-SE [Local Organiser]
Loredana Le Pera, ELIXIR Italy
Allegra Via, ELIXIR Italy
The course is made up of four sessions, covering:
- Learning principles and how they apply to training and teaching
- Teaching techniques that can be used to enhance learner engagement and participation
- Assessment and feedback in training and teaching
- Lesson, course, and materials design
Whoever is interested in becoming a teacher or a better one. If you have questions like the following ones, this course may be very helpful to you.
- How learning works?
- How can I use learning principles and theories to improve my teaching?
- How can I make my teaching more engaging and effective?
- How should I adjust my teaching to different types of learners?
- How can I help slow learners?
- How can I assess whether my students are actually understanding my lessons? Are they actually learning?
- What is the best balance between theory and practice?
- How can I best assess whether learning is occurring and/or has occurred?
- What works in a classroom and what doesn’t?
- How can I become a better teacher?
- To get acquainted with Learning principles and how they apply to training
- To be able to select and utilise training techniques that can be used to enhance learner engagement and participation
- To learn how to use assessment and feedback in training
- To learn about session, course, and materials design
- Learners can name learning principles that a good teacher/instructor should have in mind
- Learners can describe at least three training techniques, drawing on learning principles
- Learners can design a training session and a course
- Learners can develop assessment questionnaires
- Learners can enumerate types of materials needed for each part of a training session or course
Tuesday - 9 Oct 2018
|13:30 - 14:00||Introductions, who is who and what we need to achieve|
|14:00 - 17:30||[Session 1]: Review of learning principles and how they apply to training and teaching|
Wednesday - 10 Oct 2018
|09:00 - 12:30||[Session 2]: Training techniques that can be used to enhance learner engagement and participation|
|12:30 - 13:30||Lunch time|
|13:30 - 17:30||[Session 3]: Session, course, and materials design|
Thursday - 11 Oct 2018
|09:00 - 12:30||[Session 4]: Assessment and feedback in training|
|12:30 - 13:30||Lunch time|
|13:30 - 14:00||Wrap-up|